Monday 22 October 2012

Nailing my colours to the mast

In the interests of goal setting I'm going public.  That way it will be harder for me to back out down the line.  Next year, on the 8th June, I aim to complete the Classic Quarter - a 44 mile Ultra marathon along the Cornish coastal path from Lizard to Lands End.


I'll be posting updates about my training as I go.

This time last year I decided to run the same race as a 4 man team, each running 11 miles or so.  At the time I wasn't sure if I could complete that distance.  As it was I barely did, with cramps hitting me hard about 8 miles in.  That said we all were keen to improve on this achievement and Simon and I started to think about possibly running as a pair next year.

Since then I made a poorly prepared but ultimately much better executed completion of the 20 mile Red R.A.T, again on the coastal path; finishing in 5 hours 9 minutes and still able to laugh about it afterwards.  Having done this, 22 miles each seemed a cop out.  So it has to be the whole thing.  44 miles. Again, I'm REALLY not sure I can do this; but I have a fair bit of time on my hands so we shall see.

I have a few milestones planned, including at least one marathon between now and then.  I hope to write a bit about goal setting and training programs soon but need to get my head around it all first.



Lizard point 23rd June 2012


Mark setting off from Lizard point


Simon at Gunwalloe

Gareth heading off on the third leg

Me, in pain, approaching the finish at Lands End (c) G Hayfield

No comments:

Post a Comment